Thursday, May 5, 2011

It's Knitting Time!

When the weather starts getting cooler, I get out the yarn and needles and start knitting. I started knitting kid sized beanies when I saw a Guardian Pharmacy Guardian Angel Knitting Program advertisement in 2007. I feel privileged that I can wear warm clothes and can afford heating when so many people don’t have such “luxuries”. There was a scene in Vie en Rose where a reporter interviewed Edith Piaf (she was knitting on a beach) and ask who she was knitting for. She replied "whoever wants to wear it". That's how I see my knitting.

I knitted some beanies and scarves for a church group who was going to China in 2008 and it was lovely to see the knitted items being worn. The little boy's face is adorable - perhaps the beanie is little scratchy?


Since I had heaps of left over yarn, I knitted squares to make blankets for the Save the Children Knit One Save One campaign in 2010. They were aiming for 80,000 knitted squares but received 153, 438 squares which is an amazing effort!

My knitted squares didn't always turn out square, so I'll stick to knitting beanies again this year. The pattern I follow is really easy, and yes, I will knit other colours, not just pink (but it is my favourite colour!) To date I've knitted six beanies but as you can see, there is plenty of yarn in the basket! To support Australian businesses, I buy yarn from Bendigo Woollen Mills who supply fantastic quality yarns at very reasonable prices.



No comments:

Post a Comment