Tuesday, September 20, 2011

My Pink Tulle Gown

I remember way back in the 1980s (yes way back then) when Mum and I watched The Wizard of Oz for the first time. I was in awe when Glinda the Good Witch appeared on screen wearing a huge pink gown, and I've loved tulle ever since.

I was browsing through Etsy a few weeks ago when I came across a dress from AmyShope which I just had to have. The lovely Amy agreed to make me a pink dress with extra layers of tulle (6 rather than 4) for extra puffiness. I was thinking about having 10 layers but Amy said that 6 was more than sufficient, and she was right as I would have ended up looking like I was on "My Big Fat Gypsy Wedding" (gasp! - no I am NOT getting married, calm down). The dress was made to my measurements (my first haute couture) and arrived within 2 weeks of my order.

Since I have no special occasion to wear this gown and I bought it purely because of my love of tulle, it's currently hanging in my room so I can admire it like a piece of art. As Sheldon Cooper said in the Big Bang Theory: "What's life without whimsy?"


Barbie Dolls: In the Pink and Glinda The Good Witch

2 comments:

  1. What a gorgeous dress! Etsy is great, Amy's wedding dress came from there and it was absolutely perfect and beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jane - Many thanks for your comment. Etsy is great but I've discovered that there are people who "flag" items that they consider not to be hand made. Unfortunately a complaint was filed against AmyShope and her items have been removed. I've written to Etsy to confirm that my dress was handmade, but I have not received a response from them and AmyShope is still not back online. I value handmade items and Etsy is such a great platform for this and understand that they have to maintain their integrity. I also believe that the handmade/craft community to be supportive of each other, hence I was dismayed at how AmyShope was treated.

    ReplyDelete