Monday, July 23, 2012

Crochet Baby Blanket


I dropped off 18 knitted beanies to KOGO a couple of weeks ago and had some left over Panda multi-coloured Magnum yarn that I didn't know what to do with. It is very colourful yarn so what can I make that will be useful and not look too horrendous when combined together?

Knitted child size beanies for 2012

It must have been providence as I received an email from a fellow Looped Meet Up member who proposed we knit or crochet children blankets and beanies for a women's correction centre. Many of the women do not have the money to purchase these items for their babies, or simply do not have any contacts on the outside to help them acquire what they need. Regardless of what the women have done, they, like all mothers, want the best for their children and it must be heartbreaking for a mother not being able to provide for their child. It is awful to think that children are not warm enough during our cold winter, so I started crocheting squares straight away to make a small contribution to this worthy cause.


Using a 4mm crochet hook, I crocheted 7 rounds of treble stitch using the colourful yarn (turned out firm and sturdy), and 5 rounds of grey DK yarn (3 balls of 100g) from Lincraft (soft and supple that almost feels like baby wool), which resulted in a 21cm square (opsie it was suppose to be 20cm!). The squares were crocheted together and since I had grey yarn left over, I continued to crochet around the blanket and finished off with a border of the multi-coloured yarn. The finished blanket which took me two weeks to complete, measures 73cm x 93cm. I encourage all knitters and crocheters to make squares - even if it is just one, but when combined with other squares it will be made into a blanket to keep someone warm.

1 comment:

  1. What a generous and worthwhile way of using your skills, I think the little blanket's colours work very well together.

    ReplyDelete