Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Christmas Bird Ornament


For the first time in many years, I’m not taking a break over the Christmas/New Year period and will be in Melbourne. I am looking forward to the Boxing Day sales and will be in the city bright and early to snatch up the bargains. As a crafter, I tend to stock up on fabric during this time…and during the Quilt and Craft Fair…mid year sales…online sales… ok, I buy fabric all the time. Christmas fabric is usually half price, and I bought about 1.5 metres of this red fabric a few years ago for around A$5. Inspired by a pattern in Joelle Hoverson’s Last Minute Patchwork and Quilted Gifts, I made fabric birds for my tree.  



Bird templates are easy to find on the web, hence for one bird (it's always nice to make a pair), cut out 2 pieces of fabric. If you are like me and forget that there is a right and wrong side of fabric, remember to flip the pattern to trace the second piece of the bird. With wrong sides together, sew around the bird leaving an opening of at least 2cm so you can turn the fabric inside out. Fill the bird with polyester fill, and hand sew to close the opening. Hand sew a tiny bell under the bird’s chin, glued gems for eyes, and finished off with a ribbon loop to hang the bird. 


No comments:

Post a Comment