Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Doubloon Beanies

 photo photo1_zpsurt7u2ol.jpg

I knitted Benjamin a new beanie for his birthday as he has out grown the blue one I made him last year. This pattern is from Better Homes & Garden's Your Knitting & Crochet Collection, and I used Fiddlesticks classic wool which was great to work with. I thought it would be too big for Benjamin, but it appears to fit him well but I'm afraid it hides his great head of hair!

I bought a few balls of Cosy Wool from Lincraft which is great to work with too and has a thick, lush feel. I'm knitting my third beanie from this yarn for some friend's children for the upcoming winter.  I just love the bright colours, and it comes in 4 ply as well.

Using 3.25mm needles, cast on 106 stitches
Work 17 rows garter stitch (knit every row which is great because I don't like ribbing)
Change to 4mm needles
Row 1: Knit
Row 2: Purl
Continue with stocking stitch until the beanie measures 13cm (which for me is 29 rows), end with purl

Shape crown

I prefer to knit 2 together (k2tog) rather than pass slip stitch over (psso) 
Row 1: Knit 1, *knit 11, knit 2 together, repeat from * to last stitch, knit 1 (98 stitches)
Row 2 and alternate rows, purl to the end
Row 3: Knit 1, *knit 10, knit 2 together, repeat from * to last stitch, knit 1 (90 stitches)
Continue reducing in the same pattern until Row 21 when you knit 2 together 13 times

Break off yarn, run end through remaining stitches, pull tight and secure. Join side edges to form back seam.

 photo photo201b_zpsz97fnnhg.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment