I had this project in mind for months and was keen to start making decorations for my Easter tree...even though it was only mid February! I often bemoan how Chinese New Year, Easter and Christmas are so commercialised, and am appalled when Easter chocolates are available straight after Christmas. Bursts of creativity however must never been suppressed, so I was really pleased to be able to buy Styrofoam eggs in January.
|Neatly wind embroidery floss at the bottom of the egg|
|Form a loop at the pointy end of the egg|
I was keen to use the Moonbrand variation embroidery floss so this was a perfect project for it. I didn't like the idea of using glue because it would make such a mess and no doubt the finished project will be encrusted with flakes of dried glue (as well as under my finger nails, in my hair, on furniture...). The solution? Double Sided Tape! I love double sided tape ~ it's cheap, comes in giant rolls and a little goes a long way. I bought my tape from The Reject Shop (hey, don't be snobby, it can be a treasure trove for craft supplies) for A$2. Double sided tape has revolutionised the craft industry, it's pure genius.
This project is super easy as well as economical if you use affordable embroidery floss. I'm sure I've seen packets of generic embroidery floss at Daiso for A$2.80. At the pointy end of the egg, I formed a loop with embroidery floss to hang the egg. I covered the surface of the egg with approximately 3cm lengths of double sided tape rather than one continuous length of tape to avoid lumps and bumps.
At the base of the egg, I wound all six strands of the embroidery floss around the egg. Maintain a consistent tension and don't wrap too tightly or loosely so the floss sits evenly on the egg. My medium sized eggs are approximately 5cm in length required around 7 metres of floss (1 skein is 8 metres in length), and the large eggs (about 9cm in length) used about 1.5 skeins of floss. I loved how the colour variations of the floss resulted in stripes, I certainly did not envision this so it was a delightful surprise. It was a time consuming project and I finished it just in time for Easter!