Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Felt Dahlia


The crafting community is generous and unselfish as there are many bloggers who are willing to share their ideas and take the time to create tutorials so others can reproduce their designs.

I found this beautiful pattern of a dahlia brooch by Megan of the Not Martha blog, but I plan to sew the flower onto a denim draw string bag instead (I bought 6 of these bags from Diaso... well you can never have too many, right?)

I used a piece of deep red felt and cut out a circle, 15 large petals, 13 medium size petals and 9 small sized petals (template here). I didn't glue the pieces together as specified in the pattern (mainly because I'll make such a mess) but chain stitched the petals together on the sewing machine. I then hand sewed the petals onto the felt circle, and rolled a strip of felt that I cut with pinking shears for the centre of the dahlia. Even though we grow dahlias in Summer, I can't remember what the leaves look like so I need to do a quick Google search before completing the project.

Despite the coldest May in 40 years, there are still flowers blooming - this was taken outside the Melbourne Town Hall on Swanston Street after Mum and I went to Markit at Federation Square on Sunday 29 May.


No comments:

Post a Comment